Thursday, February 27, 2014

Junshin Express - 50 cents Sushi!



This picture is enough to draw me to their shop. Oh, bless social network!

Shopfront

Yes, they aren't kidding with the 50cent declaration. It's the price of ALL sushi varieties, mind you.

I came with low expectations; thinking that the 50 cents charge only apply to the cheapest or most basic sushi types like the (canned) tuna, Kanikama (imitation crabmeat), Tamago (omelette), Inari (sweet tofu skin) or even sweetcorn.

Boy was I wrong. That's when I got delirious and wanna buy EVERYTHING!

IMG_2273
Temaki, Sake & Chuka

Here's where the non-50cent stuff are.

On the top shelf are the Kani temaki (sadly, only 1 variety) ~ $1.80 each.

Below that are Sake (salmon) sashimi ~ $4.80.

After that are all the Chuka (seasoned items). Like Chuka Wakame (seasoned seaweed), Chuka Idako (seasoned baby octopus), Chuka Chinmi (seasoned scallops), Chuka Kurage (seasoned jellyfish) ~ $2.80

IMG_2272
Bottles of Halal sauces

Soba sauce, sushi shoyu (dipping) sauce and even sushi rice vinegar. All have the Halal symbol on the bottles.

They also have a fridge full of vegetarian sushi. Yes, you read right. Stuff like sushi topped with fruits and veggies. Doesn't really pique my interest, though.

IMG_2249
Kani temaki, Tobikko sushi, California maki

Kanikama (imitation crabmeat) handroll, California Maki and Tobikko (flying fish roe) sushi.

There's a yellow version of Tobikko available- supposedly flavoured with yuzu? And another green one (definitely wasabi).

IMG_2251
16 sushi(s)

…To be shared with my colleague, Sri.

IMG_2250
Up close

(Top-from left) Chuka Kurage (seasoned jellyfish), Chuka Chinmi (seasoned scallops), Tako sushi (cooked octopus), Octopus salad, Chuka Idako (seasoned baby octopus)

(Centre-from left) Chuka Chinmi, Chuka Wakame (seasoned seaweed) x 2, Octopus salad, Shimeji (Japanese beech) mushrooms

(Bottom-from left) Sake (salmon) sushi, Tako (cooked octopus) sushi, Chuka Idako, Unagi (eel) sushi x 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I have another doc appointment, and yes! Another morning off.

Reminiscent of 2 days ago, I came back to Bedok Mall and of course, Junshin Express for more (cheap) sushi!

Since I now know what the hits and misses are, I'm more confident with my selection, this time.
IMG_2275
2nd round!

(clockwise from top-left) Octopus salad, Chuka Wakame, Chuka KurageChuka IdakoChuka Chinmi, Kani salad, Octopus salad (again), Tako Sushi

If you ask for my favourite amongst all, I dare say it's the Octopus Salad. That's why I took 2 of them, this time. And now I wish I had taken at least 3 instead.

Seeing that I'm currently preggers, I skipped all the raw fish stuff like Sake (salmon), Maguro (tuna), Shiromi (white-flesh fish) or Ika (squid). I got some for my colleague, though.

I still eat sashimi, mind you. But to play it safe, I'll pay more to have them at higher-end places or the Sakuraya Fish Market; where I know that they take pride in providing really fresh, quality fish.

You can view their menu HERE (not that updated, though). You may find some items unavailable when you're at the shop but you may also find others that aren't listed, being available.

You can get updates through their FB, too.

Payment is currently cash terms only. They give ample packets of shoyu & wasabi but you can buy more at 10 cents each.

IMG_2253

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah, that’s what I was trying to get for, just what a stuff Presented at this blog!! Thanks admin of the site. shave ice accessories