Sunday, December 26, 2004

Came back from jemputan just now when my fren messaged me bout' some massive earthquake in Indonesia. She told me that it's all over the news, esp. Channel News Asia

Apparently the quake, measured a powerful 8.9 on the richter scale. My fren did mention bout' some metoer that crashed in Indonesia but I dunno if that's connected to the quake. What's scary is that there are no traces of that meteor though ppl reported a huge explosion and some 'white light' before that.

The quake, however caused the neighbouring seas in South Asia to run amok. Tidal waves were reported all over, esp. M'sia, Sri Lanka & Southern Thailand.

Erk? S.Thai?!

Gosh, I'm going there in less than 2 mths! Checked the news:

".... At least 99 people were killed and more than 1,300 were wounded in southern Thailand, with many of the deaths occurring in the idyllic tourist islands of Phuket and Phi Phi.

A police officer in Phuket said at least six of the dead were foreigners who drowned on Karon beach on the island's west coast. The death toll was likely to rise with several officials reporting over Thai radio and television that beachgoers and villagers had gone missing.

Police said 31 people had died in nearby Krabi on Thailand's southern mainland, at least 11 were killed on tiny Phi Phi..."

FYI, I planned to spend 3 nights on Phi Phi Island and another 3 on Phuket in early Feb '05. My fren is even going there next month.

Shucks....

Now what?!

No comments: